So, the other day, I'm working on this pie cut problem. So far, I can print hundreds of these degreed pie cuts assemble them into a manifold and retrieve the data to create a 3d file which represents the mock up that I have made. But, what if, I wanted to draw up a 3d file which represented a possible manifold configuration, and then print exactly the number of pie cuts to create that specific item. Work Flow: Method #1 Print hundreds of various pie cuts --> Build a mockup --> Test a mock up --> Build a new mockup ... --> Convert mock up to 3d file --> ???? --> Profit. OR Method #2 Create a 3d file --> Print Exactly the pieces required by mockup --> Test mock up --> Adjust 3d file... --> Print difference of pieces --> ???? --> Profit. Both of these workflows are useful. But from a Solidworks perspective the first method is much easier to accomplish. And from a time use perspective the second method saves valuable
Popular posts from this blog
The biggest issue I have had printing small parts is bed adhesion. LycheeSlicer comes with some powerful automatic tools for building supports, unfortunately they don't know which surfaces are important and they raise the part off the bed surface which ruins one very valuable reference surface. My solution has been to painstakingly apply custom supports in Solidworks, by mimicking the automatic tools of LycheeSlicer. But last night I developed a better method. 1) Create a feature which will easily break from your printed part. 2) In a new sketch plane on the build plate side of your part, offset the profile of the part. Replace all the sharp edges of the offset with radii. I find the simplest tool for this job is the sketch fillet. Exit the sketch. 3) Select your support feature and add a curve driven pattern. Play around with the settings until it looks right, and you should have something like this: 4) Build a raft around your supports. Et voila!: I skipped a few i
The falcon has always had an overheating problem. If the ambient temperature is below 80°F then the coolant temperature is fine. But that doesn't work so well in the summer 'round these parts. So I did a little CAD, and then I did a little CAD, and then I did a little more CAD, and then I did some FAD. Here are a few scribblings on Cardboard. And then I found a use for that photogrammetry model that I made. Look ma, no hands! Then I tested the model in 1/4 scale. Then I went to kinkos and printed out a full size pattern which I glued to some Foamboard. As you can see in the video below, there are no collisions with the the fan shroud model. Then I built a some tabs to bolt the fan shroud to the radiator. Now, all I have to do is wait until I can afford to buy the aluminum and the sheet metal brake, and oh yeah, the bar roller. :/ Guess I'll just make due with premium gas and after dark drives next summer.